There is nothing awesome than being a South African. We have 11 official languages, but there are many unique traits that are only found in Mzansi whether you are black or white, Zulu or Sotho. We are the only country where to be the country’s president you have to be a former convict (thats a joke).
Jokes aside. Even though we complain a lot and cry racism every time things do not go our way, we are still the most united nation in the whole world and we dont give ourselves credit for that.
See the list below of outlining some of the unique attributes that are unquestionably South African.
You know you’re South African when:
- You swear in one or all of the 11 official languages
- You laugh every time you watch the Parliamentary channel just to keep from crying
- You braai because, as said on this Tumblr, barbeque is a chips flavour
- You roll your eyes every time an American pronounces it “Charleeze Therin”
- You look down on other countries for only having one language in their national anthem
- You really hope Bafana Bafana will win that match, even though you know they won’t
- You have a hangover cure that involves at least one or all of the following: ProNutro, Worcestershire sauce, a bottle of Black Label, and a naartjie
- You get irritated when foreigners talk about the “South African accent” because there’s more than just one.
- You immediately recognise the theme songs from most local prime time soaps – even if you don’t watch them
- You know “now” and “now now” are two completely different things and that “now now” can mean anything from a few minutes to a few hours
- The electricity runs out and you immediately assume it’s loadshedding
- You use “Ja”, “ag nee man”, “eish” and “shame” without even thinking about it
- Traffic lights are robots and a porch is a stoep
- The mere mention of Steve Hofmeyr’s name makes you either very happy or very angry (I’m sorry)
- You love it when England or Australia get their asses kicked in rugby or cricket.
- You get irritated when people try to compare biltong and beef jerky and you’re like “they’re not the same”
- The temperature is anything below 18°C, you freak out, complain about global warming and act as if you’re now in Antarctica.
- A complete stranger calls you “aunty/uncle” or “oom/tannie” or “sisi or bhuti”
- You know the difference between sausage and boerewors.
Add to this list by leaving a comment below.
Latest posts by Mashilo J Mothemane (see all)
- Number of Google organic blue links results drops from 10 to 8.5 - October 7, 2016
- Google: Almost Half of All People Search Only on Smartphones - October 7, 2016
- Google Tests Trending Searches and Instant Answers in Search Bar - October 4, 2016